Thursday, August 06, 2009

An Update

First of all, thank you to all of you who prayed for us when my grandmother passed away. It is never easy to lose a loved one, but it is so much more comforting to know that she was saved and is now at rest with the Saviour.

When we came back home, we walked into a mess. A pipe in our kitchen burst while we were gone and flooded our house. We are one week into clean up and the end seems to be no where in sight. We lost all the flooring in our living room, dining room, kitchen, and all the downstairs flooring. We will also have to replace 1/2 or more of all the sheetrock in the house.

I believe the Lord must have a lot more confidence in my ability to handle stress than I do. Right now I am just taking things minute by minute. This is a lot more stressful than I ever could have imagined. I am the type of person who likes things neat, orderly, and structured. Right now our lives are pretty much the exact opposite.

While this is by no means ideal, I am still trying to look on the bright side and stay positive. There were some things we wanted to remodel anyway, so this is just the jumpstart that we needed. And Praise the Lord for insurance and having an Emergency Fund set up. Otherwise we would be in serious trouble. God is still soooo good and we feel truly blessed even in the mess. =)

Here are some pictures of what is going on so far.


Kitchen wall knocked out
Carpet removed

Wood floor removed



Some of the damage












Our "new" floors











8 Thoughts from friends:

Anonymous said...

So what was it that actually leaked??? oh I just couldn't imagine!! but yes very bright side you will have a practically BRAND NEW house when this is over, how awesome is that??
love me

Lisa

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Ugh! :( Hope it won't take too long to get somewhat back to normal.

jesnicole said...

Oh, you poor thing!!! I seriously hope you guys are able to get things fixed and back in order soon, to make things peaceful! But in the meantime, you have one another!! :)

Manuela said...

You are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I really hate that for you all. I will send hugs and prayers your way.

Rachel Smith said...

Oh my! I am like you. I like things neat and in order. Plus...now you have people in and out all of the time. However, getting all new stuff will be nice. Think of all of the paint options :)

I had the same experience once. We came home from church one afternoon and our roof had caved in and water was everywhere after a big storm. We also had some major damage in our kitchen. We had to replace the entire kitchen-cabinets and all, lots of drywall, and the wood floors. It seemed to last forever.

I have said a prayer for you and your children.

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Now there's the bright side: you get to remodel now when you might have put it off. Similar, but more shocking, thing happened to our retreat house: it burned to the ground three years ago. Three years and six million dollars later, the retreat house is almost done being rebuilt -- and much nicer, so much nicer than anyone would have tried to do without the fire.

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry. I can't even imagine, I am sure, how shocking and frustrating that must have been.

I hope that you have extra grace during this time!

-Andrea

Blog Widget by LinkWithin