Friday, June 27, 2008

Whatza Runza?


Runzas are, from the info I have gathered, a meat filled pastry with Russian/German roots. I was introduced to them a few weeks ago by a friend who is originally from Nebraska. Apparently, they are pretty popular there. Being the southern gal that I am, I was a little sceptical and wasn't real sure I would like "yankee" food. (I'm just teasing about the yankee thing, nobody get mad.) I loved it! It was so yummy that I immediately came home and googled "runza" and quickly came up with about a million different recipes.


So, I told hubby about it and he sounded intrigued. I decided I would have me a big ol' runza making party the next day. And let me just throw this in here now, if you are going to make these I would recommend making a big batch and freezing them. They are a little messy to make, and a little time consuming too. I didn't know that at the time, so I ended up making mine in two smaller batches as well as making a casserole (also, super yummy) with my one batch of meat. These freeze really well and can be individually wrapped for lunches or quick snacks. I have to say I'm a huge fan now.
The recipe I used can be found here. (I used 1 lb. ground turkey and 1 lb. Italian sausage instead of ground beef. I also did not use caraway seed.)
And the recipe for the casserole here. (I halved everything and made a smaller casserole and also used the leftover meat mixture I already had.)
Please leave me a comment and let me know if you have every heard of these, had these, or if you try the recipes. I'm curious.
Cost to make runzas and casserole:
Italian sausage---------$1.89
Ground Turkey--------$0.89
Slaw Mix---------------$1.09 (I used this instead of cabbage.)
Bread Loaves----------$1.99
Cheese----------------$1.89
Crescent Rolls----------$1.09
Total-----------------$8.84
Overall, the price isn't too bad. We got several lunches out of the runzas and one dinner with leftovers. Next time I make these however, I will make my own dough to save money. Does anybody have a recipe that would be good for these?

3 Thoughts from friends:

Anonymous said...

Howdy! Thanks for visiting my blog...I love getting new visitors. We were in Oki from dec 03 to dec 06. I loved it so much. I'll bet we saw each other many times. 2 of my littes were born at Lester.
Drop by any time! =)

jesnicole said...

THAT LOOKS SO GOOD! I NEED TO MAKE NEW THINGS.....I'M THE TYPE WHO STICKS TO SEVERAL THINGS THAT I KNOW EVERYONE WILL EAT.......BUT WE ALL GET BORED WITH THEM!!

Heather said...

Wow, those DO look good!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin