Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Does This Baby Make Me Look Fat?

I know that good prenatal care is important for your baby. But I think the key word there is "good". Today I had a somewhat disappointing appointment. It went a little something like this-15 minutes in the waiting room, blood pressure, weight, urine sample, baby heartrate, see ya later. Grand total-20 minutes. Gas spent-Approx $4.00. Amount billed to insurance-probably around $50. My feelings-a little jipped.

I wasn't told my weight, blood pressure, baby's heart rate or anything. I don't know. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I also learned that I will not be getting the big ultrasound where they do all the measurements to make sure the baby's organs are developing properly. I thought that was standard, but apparently it isn't.

So, really I have nothing to report. Maybe next month.

And while we're somewhat on the subject of weight, let me just throw this in there. My friend's daughter felt the need today to tell me how much bigger I look now. Not pregnant, "just bigger". And just like that, my ego was crushed. I mean, come on. I still weigh less than I did when I got pregnant and I can still wear all of my pre-pregnancy clothes. Never tell the pregnant lady she's getting bigger. We know that!! It's part of the process and it's just not cool to say.

Well, enough of that. Let's end on a happy note. The other day Keith and I were at Wal-Mart and I was showing Tyler some placemats they had for kids. One was to help them learn colors and had Sesame Street characters on it. I pointed out Elmo, which Tyler pronounced Uh-Oh. Now every time he sees something Elmo he starts saying Uh-Oh, Uh-Oh. Very cute!

5 Thoughts from friends:

Anonymous said...

ok so I saw you maybe 2 weeks ago and there is no possible way that you could even look pregnant let alone bigger 'Miss Could Stand to eat a sandwich and gain some weight!" but even if you have gained any weight have no fear as i will be hating your guts the day after you have him as i know you will be skinny as a rail again!
love and miss you lots, me

Pam--in America said...

Love the title of your post! I highly doubt that you look fat... I've never seen you fat!

I would feel a little cheated after an appointment like that too. So impersonal, makes you really wonder what the birth will be like. I hope the care gets better!

Anonymous said...

Have a milkshake and be happy. there are millions of pregnant women out there that would love to have the kind of FAT you think you have. You make a very Beautiful pregnant lady. I love you bunches and was so glad to get to see you at Sis's house, even for a short time. Hugs & Kisses, Becky

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

I think you deserve to know your stats, etc. I would "demand" it!

Some people have no tack - and it becomes most apparent when your pregnant. People think they can say whatever it is they are thinking to a pregnant woman. And it's not right!
I am sure you look fantastic!

-Andrea

Ed said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog about Whiteman. My daughter and her husband are there for a few more months. You might like to email her. If so, send me an email through my blog and I will put you in touch with her. It might do a lot of good to see another "home girl" in the flesh. They are expecting their first child in September.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin