Monday, September 19, 2011

22 Down, 2 To Go

Today is just another ordinary day for most...and truth be told, nothing is out of the ordinary here at home either. But today is a special day for us. Today marks 22 years of active duty Air Force service from my husband. Today he also reenlists for 2 more years...his last two.

B2 dropping missiles
It's kind of a bittersweet feeling. Part of me is so ready for this journey to be over, and for us to start a new chapter. A chapter where (hopefully) we won't be wondering when the next time Daddy will be leaving. A chapter where Daddy can be more involved in our day-to-day lives. A chapter where we can learn what it is to be a "normal" family.

But, there is a (big) part of me that will be sad to see it all end. The military has been Keith's only job...ever. In the end he will have given 24 years of service to his country. It has, in many ways, been his life. And it has become mine too. When we got married almost 10 years ago, I had no clue what military life was and it was quite the adjustment in the first few years. But, after the adjustment phase came a deep love for this life of ours! I can't explain it, except to say that I feel like I have been woven in to this military family. I feel as much a part of it, in many ways, as I do my own biological family. And when it comes to an end, I feel I will mourn the loss of it. Yes, we will always be a part of the military family. But the everyday-ness of it all will come to an end. It must. And it's only two short years away.

I'm feeling very reflective today. And very thankful as well. I hope you all have a blessed day in the Lord!

(P.S.- The significance of the picture is that my husband is assigned to a B2 base, and his job is to build the bombs that they drop. Pretty neat picture, I think.)

0 Thoughts from friends:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin