Monday, June 21, 2010

Green Smoothies


This morning I posted on Facebook that I was having a Green Smoothie for breakfast. It got quite the little curious discussion going, so I thought I would share it here too. =)
I first read about green smoothies a while ago. Probably when I was pregnant with Jackson, but I really can't remember. I really want our family to eat healthful, nutritious food. But honestly, we don't always. I read many articles and recipes for green smoothies and people were always commenting how wonderful they were. I, like everybody else I suppose, was a little sceptical. How could a *green* smoothie be good? It just sounds gross. But, being the wild adventurer I am ,I decided to try it. And, it really was good!! Now I love them and wish I could make one for everybody, just so people could see how good they are. Who knew that something so good for you could taste so good??
If you have never heard of green smoothies before, you are better off looking it up online than me trying to tell you. But the basic idea is that you add something green-celery, kale, spinach, etc. to your regular smoothie recipe. If done right, these can be packed full of vitamins and minerals. Also, it is a super easy way to get in some raw fruit and veggie servings for the day.
There are tons of health benefits to eating raw foods. I'm sure everybody knows that. But just from personal experience I can say that I have lost weight, gained energy, and overall feel better when I am eating right. Green smoothies are my favorite way to ensure I am getting the fruits and veggies I need. They are so easy to make, taste great, take almost no time, are portable, and super filling.
The way I make them varies depending on what I have on hand. But my basic recipe is this:
1 cup spinach
1 1/2 cups fruit (fresh or frozen)
ice
splash of water (or milk)
flax seed
1 banana -you need this for emulsification-(can also use avocado, but I haven't tried that yet)
blend until smooth
That's about it. You can mix it up depending on what you have available. You can add yogurt if you like. That will make it thicker, and you may need to use more liquid that way.
If you are looking for a way to eat healthier, add more raw foods to your diet, or just want to try a yummy new snack--give green smoothies a try. I promise they taste wonderful and after a week of drinking these you will feel wonderful too!

3 Thoughts from friends:

Kristi said...

That is such a great idea! I bet it's really good. We just got a juicer and haven't used it yet but I found some GREAT recipes in it similar to your smoothie recipe. My mother is on the hallelujah diet and, you're right about the raw foods. She feels FABULOUS! I haven't seen her feeling this great in years. I'll be sure to pass this recipe along to her.

I have everything but the flax seed. Is that a must? I might pull the blender out and try one tonight!! :D

~Kristi

Liz said...

Hi Kristi! How long has your mom been doing the Hallelujah diet? I do notice a tremendous change in the way I feel when I consistently have a smoothie. I usually drink 2 a day and that gives me just about all my veggie/fruit servings per day.


The flax seed is optional. I just throw it in there for good measure. It is so good for you and you never taste it, so that's why I put it in there. But you don't need it.

Let me know if you try it. I really do love them and you really never notice the spinach. Just make sure you blend for about 2-3 minutes to make sure it is all integrated together.

Kristi said...

Mom is doing WONDERFUL on the hallelujah diet. She has lost little over 20 pounds, doesn't need her cane any longer, AND the most amazing thing to me is seeing her ankles. The first thing she said after just three days on the diet was, "KRISTI! I HAVE ANKLES, NO MORE KANKLES!" I know that sounds funny, but she honestly has not had ankles in YEARS! She feels soooooo much better.

~Kristi

Blog Widget by LinkWithin