Monday, April 06, 2009

Our $75, Two Week Menu Plan

A few ladies from the church have started getting together once a week to clip, organize, and trade coupons as well as learn from and encourage each other. I have been clipping coupons for a while and have really learned a lot and also have saved our family A LOT of money. Before I started couponing, we were spending around $100/week on groceries and that was just the two of us!! I now budget $150/month for groceries. It did not happen overnight, but it is possible with practice, patience, planning and time. (Not that I'm saying $150 would work for everybody. It won't! But you can significantly reduce your grocery budget.

As we were discussing our budgets, several people commented that they didn't know how we could eat on that amount each month. My answer is, "We just do." There really is no magic to it. I plan our menu, keep our meals simple using ingredients we have on hand (not things that will only use 1 tsp of and then never use again), shop combining coupons and sales, buy generics when possible, cook from scratch and use natural cleaners.

I am sharing our menu for the next two weeks (starting yesterday) with the costs of each meal calculated as well. Ready?

Sunday
L- pork roast, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, rolls ($5)
D- leftovers, snacks

Monday
L-leftovers
D- Taco Soup, Corn Bread ($3)

Tuesday
L-Sandwiches, chips ($1.25)
D- Mexican Casserole, Tortillas/Chips ($3.75)

Wednesday
L-Hot Pockets ($1.50)
D-Leftovers

Thursday
L-Soup & Sandwich ($1.50)
D-BBQ Beef Shep. Pie ($3.50)

Friday
L- Leftovers
D- Snacks (Sandwiches, fruit, popcorn)

Saturday
L-Pizza ($2)
D- Leftovers/Snacks

Sunday
L-Red Beans and Rice, cornbread ($2.75)
D-Leftovers/Snacks

Monday
L-Hot Pockets ($1.50)
D-Spaghetti, Rolls ($3.75)

Tuesday
L-Leftovers
D-Roast, Mashed Potatoes, Corn on the Cob ($5.25)

Wednesday
L-Macaroni & Cheese, Sandwich ($2)
D- Tomato Soup, Grilled Cheese ($2.25)

Thursday
L-Pantry stock
D-Chili w/rice ($2)

Friday
L-out together
D-Pantry stock/Leftovers



Breakfast/Snacks: ($15)
Granola bars
Yogurt
Cookies
Fruit
Pop Tarts
Muffins
Chex mix


Total $56.00
Budget $75.00

Difference ($19.00) used for:
Chicken
Beef
Drinks
Pantry items (flour, sugar, butter, eggs, milk, oatmeal, onions, coffee, etc)

So, there you have it. Nothing fancy, but the Lord always blesses. =)



9 Thoughts from friends:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

What a blessing! :D Glad to hear you are being able to do this. Hope you are able to save up some money!

Susie Chadwick said...

I'm very impressed!

Lisa said...

wow! impressive, I also coupon and menu plan I have a family of 5 and budget $50 a week, thanks for sharing.

Kelli said...

That is awesome!!! I am always trying to penny pinch, but it is so hard. We have 2 boys and it seems like they want to eat all day. Great job on your budget. We are doing a $75/week budget but it sometimes more. DIapers, formula, baby food, etc. is what takes so much from the budget. My goal is to lower our budget majorly so that the money saved can go to much needed areas. Love you blog by the way. Happy Tuesday!!

Aubrey said...

Looks like an awesome menu...don't suppose you have room for six or so more, eh? ;)

jesnicole said...

Good stuff!!! It's amazing how much money we save in our family when we actually eat our leftovers!!

Manuela said...

HI LIZ

Anonymous said...

hey lady, believe it or not i have been trying to meal plan and work a little more on a budget and it is working out really well, i have even been taking the calculator grocery shopping with me!

hey I was going to tell you some time when you have time for a quick read you should really read The Servant by James C Hunter, it is a great book and very inspirational. i am actually having to read it for my leadership class at work.
anyway just wanted to say hey and i miss u! love u!
Lisa

Jeff and Crystal said...

I just saw your comment on my blog so I took a look at your's. I would love to spend so little on groceries, you inspired me to try. I think I need to make a menu too, that would help greatly!
Are you all still at Whiteman?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin