Friday, January 22, 2010

Random Thoughts from My Noggin

Life seems to be flying by at whirlwind speed these days. We are finishing up the big remodel, preparing for a deployment/TDY, and generally living a busy life with two busy little boys. While this may not be exactly the things I'd like to be doing right now, I don't dare be ungrateful! God is so good to us! We truly do have a John 10:10 life. We are blessed with more than we even realize, and I am so thankful for all the Lord's mercies he bestows upon us.

Keith will be leaving soon. Much sooner than I would like, although we don't know the exact date yet. Tonight we talked, for the first time really, about things that need to be done before he leaves. It was not a conversation that I enjoyed, per se, because it made me realize just how short our time together is. But, it was good for me (the planner) to have some details on paper. If you've never had the pleasure *cough, cough* of being separated from your spouse for an extended period of time, then let me just tell you--the details that have to be arranged ahead of time in order for life to proceed as smoothly as possible for everyone involved is insane! At least for people like me, who need a plan for everything.

We still have quite a bit of things that need to be taken care of around the house before he leaves. Tonight I made a list of small tasks that could be completed in one evening, to try to make it easier to manage instead of one huge list that we are trying to tackle. However, while looking over the calendar I realized that many of the days that could be used between now and then are already filled with things like church, ministry meetings, work functions, etc. I know that if the house projects don't get done before he leaves, then it is not the end of the world. But I would really, really, really like to be back to as close to normal as possible before he leaves. Little things like not having doors on the cabinets and all the contents of my drawers being on the counters is really bothering me. I am just ready for a calm, normal day-to-day life. I think it will help my sanity while he is away. I like to have a clean, tidy, organized house and for the past 6 months we have been living in a functional-at-best house. Momma needs her pretty house back! =)

In other news, I think we have decided to try to sell the truck while Keith is away. It will help us save on maintenance, insurance, etc while he is away; and I am perfectly fine being a one vehicle family anyway. I don't need my own vehicle to run the roads in. It forces me to be at home, saving money, training my kids, and being the helpmeet that I need to be. I'll keep you posted on whether the truck sells or not. Hubby is kind of attached. I'm told it's a man thing.

To wrap up this little blog slop, I suppose I will share that I am having a very difficult time deciding if/when/and for how long to visit my family while Keith is away. While you wouldn't think that would be a terribly hard decision to make, right now it is one of my biggest obstacles in planning. I would like to go and stay several weeks so that my family can all have some real quality time with the boys. Most of our visits are only for a week, and that is split between two cities. This is a great opportunity for the boys to really bond with their extended family, which I want for them very much. But on the practical side of things, that means us living away from "our" home, and in somebody else's house all that time. You know the old saying about fish and company...So anyway, we are praying about what to do there.

We have a very busy weekend ahead of us. We have visitation tomorrow morning, then I will do the church bulletin. We are having dinner with friends at a Mennonite Buffet tomorrow night. And, we would really like to work a few h0me improvement projects in tomorrow too.

I hope everyone who reads this has a wonderful weekend. Spend Sunday in a local sin-hating, Bible-preaching church worshipping the Saviour. You won't regret it!

5 Thoughts from friends:

Kelly Logan said...

I hope you guys work something out maybe your family can visit you guys for a couple weeks instead? I hate deployments....uuuggghhh

jesnicole said...

I hope the time he's away will go by SUPER FAST for you all!! Hugs to you.

Shannon Bolden said...

How long is Keith going to be gone? As for coming to TN. It totally has to be your call! I know it is hard to live normal at someone else's house. Especially with kids. I would love to be able to see the boys, seems like there is never time when you are home for aunts and uncles. (Grandparents somehow take tops on list) I know you will make the best decision for you and the boys. One little word of advice, make the most of it before they start school. Love and Kisses, Shannon, Tim, Timothy & paul

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I can totally relate. I had thought at one point we would stay for months with family, but in the end for my kids they wanted to come back home after a month. Praying for you, Liz. Hugs!

Arlene said...

I totally get what you're saying... the longest we've stayed with family was about 3 weeks, and it was *right* after we got married, so I think that didn't help make things any easier, lol.

It is tough when you're stateside and close to both sides of the family... my parents are still overseas, and my hubby's parents are at least an 8 hour drive away and don't have room for us to stay long-term (which, I'm kinda glad for, because then I'm not forced to make a decision like you are). One week visits at a time are enough for me, but I know what you mean about wanting to have the kids bond a little more with extended family.

*hugs* I hope this deployment will go by very quickly for you all!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin