Wednesday, March 11, 2009

$0.25 Customizable Art


I've been in a crafty mood here lately, so I thought I would share one of my ultra-frugal creations with you. I just did this as a trial to see how I liked it. I really like the way it turned out and will probably make another one soon.

All I did was purchase an old picture frame at the thrift store for 25 cents, used some old paint brushes and acrylic paint I had laying around from other projects, and some leftover fabric for the "ribbon".

Here's the very simplified "How To" in case you want to try it for yourself.

1) Play around with the wording and font in Word until you get it the way you like it. I used Paint and then printed it out in a mirror image.

2) Place glass from frame on top of printed wording, centered.

3) Trace (paint) wording using acrylic craft paint. Depending on the quality of paint, you may need 2 coats.

4) Allow to dry and then place in frame.

Voila!

I will probably add some fabric or a nice piece of scrapbook paper to the back if I find some I like. If I do that, the total cost would probably be about $1.00. But it also looks nice the way it is.





This would be a great way to use old picture frames that you aren't currently using.


4 Thoughts from friends:

Kimberly said...

very neat. It looks nice. love ya! r u all coming this way anytime soon? we r going to FL in a few weeks the 23rd.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Great idea! I love the idea of repurposing items you already have. :D

jesnicole said...

HOW CUTE!! GOOD IDEA TO REUSE OLD STUFF! :) HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND!

Kate Ambrose said...

Cute! I like it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin