Friday, June 13, 2008

Homemade vs. Prepackaged Oatmeal: A Cost Comparison





My hubby loves to take oatmeal to work for breakfast. I love it too, because it is healthier than pop-tarts and other convenience foods. While it isn't too terribly expensive, I did notice a pretty significant rise in the price here recently. His favorite is Apple Cinnamon which currently sells for around $3.00 for 10 1/4 cup packs. He takes 2 packs per day to work, so one box lasts us a week. I am always looking for ways to save money so I decided to see if I could cut some of the costs by making it myself. Here is what I came up with.



Cost for prepackaged:

$3.15



Cost to make it myself:

Oats---------------------$1.98

Apples (3 lb. bag)--------$2.99

Cinnamon---------------$1.00

Sugar (4 lb. bag)---------$1.65



Total--------------------$7.62



Okay, so obviously it looks like making it yourself is a lot more expensive. But using the ingredients I purchased, I can make almost 8 times more oatmeal than what comes in a prepackaged box. Plus, I still have some ingredients left over. Very, very cost effective and easy too.



Here is the recipe I used to make the Apple Cinnamon. This makes enough for 10- 1/2 cup servings.



4 C Quick Cooking (1 min) oats

3/4 C Sugar (or brown sugar if you prefer)

1/4 C Ground Cinnamon

2 mediums apples (dried and cut into chunks)



Mix together, store in air tight container. I measure out 1/2 C in a microwave safe bowl and hubby adds water and microwaves at work. Easy cheesy!



Here are some other recipes as well.



Cinnamon Raisin:

4 C oats

3/4 C Brown Sugar

1/4 C Ground Cinnamon

1 C Raisins





Strawberries and Cream:

4 C Oats

1/2 C non-dairy coffee creamer

1/2 C sugar

1 C dried strawberries



Finished Product (minus apples-they were still drying)

5 Thoughts from friends:

Laura said...

Liz, this is GREAT! I was catching up with you on your blog and I love these kinds of posts. I did one on water a while back (used to buy the bottles now I use the Brita) anyway this is the way I used to make mine all the time. I will say that cinnamon is really good but there are some neat spice places on the net where I buy "real" cinnamon and I notice a difference. It last a while and it is a bit more pricey but I love it. What we get in the stores is actually cassia which is still good! I also used to make up bread machine mixes (a few posts down) in ziploc bags. Just put all the dry stuff together and then dump in there and add the wets. Have you had a better time with your machine. I have a good Italian bread recipe if you want to try, or email me your recipe and I can try and dissect it for you. There is nothing better than warm bread...

Laura

Pam--in America said...

Great way to figure out how to save money, Liz! I noticed the prices going up on oatmeal lately too. We buy some instant stuff for the kids online. It used to cost $1.89, but just went up to $2.29. I think I'll use your recipe instead of buying any more... thanks!

jesnicole said...

GOOD IDEA!! I USUALLY ALWAYS BUY THE QUICK OATS AND PUT A LIL' HONEY AND MILK IN IT. I'M ABOUT TO MAKE SOME BAKED OATMEAL. THIS POST MADE ME HUNGRY. :)

Heather said...

Yum and thank you so much for sharing this!!

Kimberly said...

Good job. I love the way you think and do, one day I will do that too! Love and miss you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin